Labrador State School was officially opened by the Honourable J.G. Appel on the 24 January 1921. The foundation members of the school committee were F.A. Kropp, H. Parkinson, H.C. Kropp, F. Loder and H.N. O’Connell and Miss May Macpherson, who was the first Head Teacher.
The class roll taken on the 25th March 1921, shows these students in attendance. There names were Thelma Kropp, Winnifred Kropp, Annie Kropp, Howard Kropp, Dulcie Groom, William Dux, Victor Dux, Raineld Parker, Eunice Colville, Alex Colville, Dulcie Kropp, Marion Kropp, Dardanelle O’Connell, Roy Perry, Clifford Perry, John Simpson, Evelyn Dux, Edwin Dux, Stanley Dux, Maurice O’Connell, Edna O’Connell, Barbara Philp, Jessie Philp, Jean Philp, Travers Parker and Dorothy Eaves.
By 1933 there were 44 students enrolled in the school and classes were being held on the verandah. In the following decades, as the area grew, there was growing community dissatisfaction with the size of the school buildings.
The new school, on its present site in Turpin Road, was opened in 1952. There were four classrooms and 193 pupils. Now there are over 900 students at Labrador State School.